Monday, March 22, 2010

A Tribute To My Mom On Her 83rd Birthday



Gone, but not forgotten.

Today is my Mom’s birthday. Had she survived her prolong fight eight years ago against the cancer that was taking over her body, she would be celebrating her eighty-third birthday today. If she was still alive, we’d be celebrating her birthday with cake and ice cream – and anyone who knew my Mom will tell you – she would have insisted on making the cake. Nobody was better at making cakes, cookies, cinnamon rolls and pies – and she could make a pretty mean meatloaf and pans and pans of tasty fried chicken – but it was those baked goods that she was known for.

I am in awe when I look back at my Mom’s life and it's only since I have been “getting up in years” that I have come to appreciate all that my Mom went through in her lifetime. My Mom didn’t have life easy – but you never heard her complain. My Mom was not a rich person – but that didn’t stop her from giving to others if it made their life a little better – that was just the kind of person that my Mom was.

My parents divorced each other when I was about seven or eight years old. I look back at all of the things that she had to do to make sure that my sister and I had a roof over our head, clothes on our backs and food in our stomach and I don’t know if I could have done it – but she did. I use to laugh about it then – but I can remember her coming home from work and literally falling asleep on the couch while watching television – now I can understand why. She was an incredible woman!

A lot has happened in the eight years since my Mom’s death. I’m sure that she wouldn’t be happy that my sister and I no longer speak to each other, but deep down inside I think that she would understand and she would continue to love us equally despite the flaws in the both of us, because that’s what Moms do.

Happy birthday, Mom!


No comments: